Saturday, January 31, 2009

Torleif Knaphus


Today there is a private exhibit of Torleif Knaphus' art. Torleif is Alex's late great grandfather! He was an amazing sculptor. His most famous piece of work is the Handcart Pioneer Monument. It was so fun seeing all of his work! I had no clue that he was also such an amazing painter! These two paintings were some of my favorite!
























I love this bas-relief sculpture that he did of Christ at the well with the Samaritan woman! So beautiful! It was definitely my favorite of his work!

3 comments:

The Workmans said...

That is really cool that he was such an artist! I really loved a bunch of his paintings!

Julie said...

Britt, have you seen his "Woman at the Well" on the front of the churh in sugarhouse? If not, we should drive by. It's huge!

I also want to plan a trip some time to the hill cummorah monument. we haven't seen it in person.

humphreynorskmisjon@gmail.com said...

I am a grandson of Torleif. My wife and I served a senior couple mission in the area where he grew up in Norway (Haugesund area). The "Women at the Well" is also in the foyer of the Provo Temple and in the Manti Tabernacle. He did the statue of the school children that is in front of the Salt Lake City-County building between 4th and 5th South on State Street.